The Co-Founder of Branch Basics Shares Her Nontoxic Morning Routine

What’s the first thing you do when you get out of bed in the morning? A well-rounded morning routine sets the tone for the day and gets you prepped—both mentally and physically—before diving into a packed schedule filled with emails, chores, happy hours, workouts, and more. Our series Morning Person profiles those who have mastered the art of the morning routine. Tune in every Monday morning here and on our Instagram to learn exactly how the pros get it all done before the sun comes up, from their go-to breakfasts to their a.m. workouts.

How to Have a Nontoxic Morning Routine


Kelly Love

We often talk about clean eating, green beauty, and even natural deodorants, but how often do we discuss what's in our cleaning products? It wasn't something Kelly Love had ever really considered either until a switch caused many of her persistent health problems (like dry eyes, joint pain, and severe menstrual cramps) to seemingly dissipate. From then on, Kelly became passionate about living as nontoxic of a lifestyle as she possibly could and educating others on how to follow in her footsteps. And as a co-founder of one of the top nontoxic cleaning brands, Branch Basics, she clearly knows her stuff. Keep reading to dive into a typical morning in her shoes.

7:00 a.m.

My alarm goes off, and more often than not I hit the snooze button. But as much as I try to get a few extra minutes of sleep, my mind starts racing with all the things, and I end up getting out of bed a few minutes later. I immediately take one vial of Quinton Hypertonic for trace minerals and hydration on a cellular level.

I like to get breakfast started before my toddler wakes up. First, I heat water in a kettle before adding a freshly squeezed lemon and some grated ginger. While the water warms, I take 1 teaspoon of Restore for gut-brain health. Then I’ll crack some organic eggs into a skillet over low heat that I first rub with avocado or coconut oil, and heat up some Kettle & Fire Chicken Bone Broth or 365 Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (this brand had no glyphosate detected by the EWG). I then essentially chug eight to 12 ounces of room temp water (it’s ideal to wait 10 minutes after taking Quinton) before sipping on my warm lemon ginger water.

7:15 a.m.

While everything is cooking, I get my daughter up and carry her into the kitchen while simultaneously giving her a million squeezes and kisses. This moment instantly puts me in a good mood. She gets a shot of Restore as well. My husband plugs in our wi-fi (we unplug it at night while we sleep) and then asks Google to play us some music (usually Ellie Holcomb). We all finish making breakfast and sit down to eat as a family. On the weekend, we’ll make our own green juice but on the weekdays we all take our PRL Greens. I like the powder mixed with water, my daughter likes it with a little orange juice and my husband likes the capsules.

7:45 a.m.

After getting our daughter dressed for school (or summer camp now), my husband will get himself ready while my daughter and I go outside for five minutes of sunlight and barefoot walking on the grass. This helps set our biological clock, which helps improve sleep, and also gives us the calming benefits of grounding on the earth. (I totally do this in my robe and don’t worry about our neighbors!) My husband leaves to drop off our daughter at school on the way to work.

8:00 a.m.

With my daughter off, I take my phone off of airplane mode (I go on airplane mode when we sleep) and make sure there’s nothing urgent with Branch Basics that I need to get to. Usually things can wait at least a bit so I change into workout clothes. I love Pact Organic since it’s breathable, organic cotton, and I make myself do at least five minutes of stretching and a few Pilates core exercises.

8:15 a.m.

I finally brush my teeth and wash my face. I brush with Himalaya Whitening toothpaste. I wash with a little Branch Basics Foaming Wash and warm water then apply a Vitamin C Serum by Ursa Major and Key’s Tinted Moisturizer with SPF.

Then I head to my home office and start knocking out Slack messages and emails! I try my hardest to stay focused and get as much work done as I possibly can before picking up my daughter in three hours. It’s a constant struggle when working from home!