Welcome to our series #CartedByT30, where experts, influencers, and anyone who just really knows how to nail down a grocery list show us exactly what goes in their carts. Tune in to our Instagram to see their weekly hauls from their favorite grocery store, farmers market, or online food retailer and to find out how much it really costs to eat healthily.
Photo:Courtesy of Heidi S. Bridge
Ariel Pasternak and Atara Bernstein, co-founders and co-CEOs of Pineapple Collaborative, a growing community for people who love food, have a simple way to describe their love for grocery shopping. For the duo, it’s all about an “eclectic, online, offline, all-the-time” experience, where they combine shopping locally at farmers markets and independent stores, as well as, expertly-curated online retailers for their pantry essentials.
Speaking of staples, Pasternak and Bernstein are so passionate about a well-stocked pantry that they created their small-batch and purposeful kitchen essentials, The Olive Oil and The Apple Cider Vinegar.
Keep scrolling to see everything else they keep stocked in their pantries at all times.
Our Food Philosophies
“Food shopping and cooking give me life. I love taking the time to go to my favorite shops and markets and peruse what’s in season and then cook based on what’s in season, too. I try to support locally owned, small businesses and family farms wherever possible, as I truly believe in the concept of voting with your dollars when it comes to the food system you want to see.”—Ariel Pasternak
“My cooking ethos? I always want it to be fun. Cooking isn’t a chore for me, it’s an outlet for my creativity. I love to spend Sunday mornings reading through my many cookbooks to draw inspiration on what my cooking plan is for the week ahead. I usually choose two or three new recipes to try and then pepper in some Atara standards too (I always make some kind of seasonal vegetable bowl with grains and fun sauce or dip for example). As far as shopping goes, I like to plan 75% and then leave the other 25% for inspiration. Meandering down the aisles of a grocery store or hopping to each vendor at the farmers market always gives me great ideas for what I want to cook and eat.”—Atara Bernstein
“Our company Pineapple Collaborative launched our own line of pantry staples, The Olive Oil and The Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), which we use pretty much on a daily basis.”—Ariel Pasternak and Atara Bernstein
“We love shopping at our local farmers market to see what inspires our meals for the week. On this trip, we picked up a bunch of scallions for a pesto with pistachios, lemon, pecorino, and a generous stream of The Olive Oil.”—Ariel Pasternak and Atara Bernstein
“Dimes in New York City stocks some of our favorite pantry staples. This time, we picked up Rancho Gordo Classic Cassoulet Beans for a brothy garlic, sage, and white bean dish, Mutti Double Concentrated Tomato Paste, Aneto Chicken Broth for rice, Mary’s Gone Crackers, and Dimes’ housemade rosemary hummus.”—Ariel Pasternak and Atara Bernstein